Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wild Kingdom!!

It's been Wild Kingdom around here lately! I mentioned that we have several bird nests right? We've been keeping an eye on the one next to the house and the babies are getting SO big! They are almost too big for the nest so it wont' be long before they are out. Today I tried to get a picture... I was up close, had the *perfect* shot and then BAM! The mama bird landed IN MY HAIR and PECKED MY HEAD! It was SO freaky! I screamed and ran into the house! Talk about wacky! That bird has pecked me, then it flew into Bret's hair (but didn't peck him) and also flew in Parker's therapist's hair!!!

We also found a dead bird too. Onyx found it and tried to bring it in the house. She wasn't giving up without a fight, but there was NO WAY I was letting a dead bird in the house. We buried it today. Parker gave it a little funeral.

THEN we had ordered a praying mantis egg case. We ordered it from the same place where you can buy butterfly caterpillars. They sell all kinds of neat things like tadpoles, ladybugs, ant farms. I thought the praying mantis would be fun. I had seen the egg cases but never saw them hatch. We waited and waited and waited. I think we waited at least a month! Then this morning, they all started coming out. It was so freaky and cool! They looked like little worms squirming out. They all piled on top of each other then their legs and antenae started popping out and then they could walk around. The egg case was about the size of a quarter and about 100 little babies came out! It was like aliens coming out of their spaceship! So cool!

So that's Wild Kingdom for the day! Crazy!

On to other news... Parker has been mainstreaming much more lately! On Friday he mainstreamed the WHOLE DAY! I was so proud of him!!! Then they tried again on Tues and he made it half the day and today he did the whole day again! I'm really excited! He has made SO much progress this school year, I can hardly believe it :) YAY PARKER!!!

Tubby has been saying some "words" lately! Last Thurs, he woke up and started saying "da da da da" :) Now, his repertoire includes "da da da" "dat" "ah dat" "ga ga" and tongue clicking. It is so cute! He doesn't do it on command, but I'm going to try and get a little video of him doing is soon. I think "dat" is him trying to say "dog." He loves the dogs!!

Speaking of dogs, Bunny is doing pretty well. I like her, so that helps. She is still a spaz and has chewed up some baby toys and other things... grrr... but she has a lot of potential. Today Don said she jumped in the pond at the golf course! He said she swam all around really well!

I think that's about all. You may or may not get to see any pictures of the bird nest depending on the mama bird's mood! ;)

1 comment:

Dianne said...

The visual of that bird going after you makes me laugh every time I think about it :)